FF ANDREW GOODWIN Convict ‘Scarborough’ (c1767-1835)

On 7 July 1784 Andrew Goodwin and his partner in crime, William Butler, were found guilty in the Old Bailey, London, of stealing 200 pounds of lead to the value of twenty shillings in June 1784. A witness, Thomas Warton, saw them carrying their load on their shoulders, thought this activity was suspicious and reported them to a watchman on duty. After a struggle the young men were taken into custody.

On Wednesday 7 July 1784, the two men appeared in the Justice Hall of the Old Bailey Courthouse, and at their trial were found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation. They were transferred to the Censor hulk at Woolwich on 6 September 1784, giving their age as 19. They were employed labouring on the Thames docks for the next three years.

On 24 February 1787, Andrew was one of 149 convicts from the Censor to be placed in a wagon for the three-day journey to Portsmouth. On 27 February Andrew boarded the ‘Scarborough’awaiting the departure of the First Fleet.

After an eight-month voyage, the eleven ships of the First Fleet were assembled in Sydney Cove on 26 January 1788. At dawn the next day, working parties of male convicts were taken ashore to start the momentous tasks of chopping down trees and grubbing out roots, pitching tents, unloading provisions, building a blacksmith’s forge and tending the animals.

Lydia Munro (or Letitia) sailed with the First Fleet on ‘Prince of Wales’ having been tried for stealing of ten yards of cotton cloth on 28 October 1786, to the value of 20 shillings. Her death sentence was reprieved; instead her destiny was transportation for 14 years on the ‘Prince of Wales’, another of the fleet’s 11 ships.

Andrew and Lydia were married on 2 March 1790.

Sydney Cove was now in drought, food had become desperately short, and severe rationing imposed. To avert disaster Governor Philip dispatched the Sirius to Norfolk Island with convicts and marines hoping to relieve pressure on the limited government rations that remained. The Sirius was then to proceed to Canton in China to purchase desperately needed food and supplies for the colony.

Andrew, Lydia and six-month old daughter, Mary, were among 184 convicts and their children who boarded Sirius bound for Norfolk Island. Poor weather conditions forced the unloading of convicts and some marines at Cascade Bay on the northern side of the Island. With improved weather conditions the Sirius returned to the southern shore to complete the unloading of cargo and provisions. Disaster struck as rising strong winds and flood tides drove the ship onto the jagged reefs. There was no loss of life but the population of the tiny island had suddenly risen to 498 people. The arrival of huge flocks of mutton birds or ‘Birds of Providence’ saved them from near starvation until more provisions arrived.

Andrew was allocated an acre of land at Sydney Town in July 1791 where he raised his allotted pig; he later expanded his holdings to twelve acres at Creswell Bay (Lot 98) which he cleared to grow grain. Government records list him as a farmer. In 1794 the family decided to leave Norfolk Island as Andrew, and others, were dissatisfied with the Government’s payment for their crops. Lydia and son John sailed away on the Daedalus on 6 November 1794. Andrew and their two girls joined Lydia in Sydney, arriving on the Fancy in March 1795. Regrettably, they found there was no means of supporting themselves and they had to rely on Government rations.

They decided to start again back on Norfolk Island. Andrew sailed from Sydney on Fancy in July 1795 and arrived just five days later. Lydia and the three children followed on the Supply arriving on 31 October. He purchased a land grant of prime sixty acres (Lot 64) on Middlegate and Queen Elizabeth Roads, Norfolk Island. Andrew’s crops were moderately successfully as, on 31 December 1798, he received eight pounds from the Government as payment for maize.

On 26 August 1802 Andrew acquired the lease of Lot 85 (23 acres) and the family moved location. In time the farm buildings consisted of a house, 20 feet long by 12 feet wide, which was shingled, boarded and had two floors. His large barn was boarded and floored and the one outhouse was boarded and thatched.

 A lengthy note from Major Foveaux dated 26 March 1805 convinced the British Government to evacuate the whole of the Norfolk Island community to Van Diemen’s Land (later Tasmania), outlining the details of compensation to be awarded. The settlers and other inhabitants were divided into two of three classes:

The First to consist of discharged Seamen and Marines.

The Second, which covered the Goodwin family, consisted of former Convicts who have conducted themselves with propriety, or who had large families. This group were to be victualled and clothed, for two years at the Public Expense, and allowed the labour of two Convicts for the same period.

The Third consisted of the remaining inhabitants., including other settlers and convicts.

The Muster taken of settlers and landholders on 2 August 1807 records Andrew Goodwin as having 23 acres; 3 in wheat, 9 in maize, nil barley etc. 11 pasture, 15 male hogs, 15 female. In hand – 280 bushels maize. He was supporting himself, wife and 7 children ‘off the stores’, and had one free man in his employ

Andrew was amongst a list of settlers to receive a General Order on 17 September 1807 stating that he, his wife and seven children were to be removed to Port Dalrymple or Hobart Town. On 9 November 1807 the Lady Nelson sailed from Norfolk Island with the first group of settlers to be relocated at the Derwent. The Porpoise followed on 26 December 1807 carrying 182 settlers including Andrew, Lydia and seven children.

Temporary housing was offered in the town until they selected their blocks. The new settlers received land both up and down the river from Hobart Town and by April 1809 Andrew had selected his allotment, 23 acres of a 46 acre property at Clarence Plains opposite Hobart Town which he worked in partnership with another emancipist, William Hawkins. After they had erected shelters for themselves and their families with the help of convict labour and tools supplied by the government they began to clear and farm their land. The land was later shown on the map as being owned by James Garth and Andrew Goodwin after William Hawkins left and later again James Garth became the farm’s sole owner after Andrew Goodwin left.

Not much is known of Andrew’s whereabouts thereafter; he died in early August 1835 and was buried on 4 August in St David’s Burial Ground. He was described as an ‘old settler’ in the Burials Register of the Parish of St David in the County of Buckingham, Hobart Town.

Lydia passed away on 29 June 1856 from ‘decay of nature’. She was buried with Andrew at St David’s Burial Ground, Hobart Town, subsequently made into a park.

All the surviving headstones have been mounted on a memorial wall.

The Fellowship of First Fleeters installed a FFF Plaque forAndrew Goodwin on the Memorial Wall on 29thNovember 1992.

Refer FFF Web Site:http://www.fellowshipfirstfleeters.org.au/graves.html

Under FFF Plaque 88 – Installed 29th November 1992for

FF ANDREW GOODWIN Convict ‘Scarborough’ (c1767-1835)


Written by #8853 Christine Frith

-References: Frost Family Papers





Amendments and corrections courtesy of Carol Brill.



Copyright Fellowship of First Fleeters